You may be aware from social media and news reports in the last week there has been a reported incident of a Christmas Tree Candle, purchased from Primark, catching fire . This appears to be an isolated incident. As a precautionary measure Primark have removed this particular type of candle from sale. Primark have issued the following statement:
‘We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously. We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency’
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is in direct contact with Primark and will provide further updates once the results of Primark’s investigations are released. In the mean time we urge all members of the public to take great care when using any type of candle. Please follow our general candle safety advice;
- Always follow the instructions provided with the candle.
- If you own a Primark Candle there is information about their instructions on the Candle Care page of the website https://www.help.primark.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115001188069-Candle-Care
- Never leave lit candles unattended
- Always trim the wick to approximately 5mm
- Avoid contamination such as spent matches in the candle wax, this can cause dangerous ‘double wicking’ to occur;
- Place candles in a heat-resistant holder or on a heat-resistant surface – be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, the metallic cases get hot enough to melt plastic and burn wood;
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets – children may play with them out of curiosity and pets can knock them over;
- Keep candles away from curtains and other combustible materials such as paper, cardboard and fabric covered furniture which will catch fire if the flame of the candle accidentally comes into contact with them; and,
- Make sure you snuff out the candle fully when you are finished with it or when leaving the room for any time.