Mon 23 April 2018

Your Local Area

Enter your postcode to find Neighbourhood Watch schemes and crime statistics for your area

Christmas Tree Candle

Alert message sent 14/12/2017 10:34:00

Information sent on behalf of Beds Fire & Rescue Service

Dear Citizen

You may be aware from social media and news reports in the last week there has been  a reported incident of a Christmas Tree Candle, purchased from Primark, catching fire .   This appears to be an isolated incident.  As a precautionary measure Primark have removed this particular type of candle from sale.  Primark have issued the following statement:

‘We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously. We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency’

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is in direct contact with Primark and will provide  further updates once the results of Primark’s investigations are released.  In the mean time we urge all members of the public to take great care when using any type of candle.  Please follow our general candle safety advice;

  • Always follow the instructions provided with the candle.
  • If you own a Primark Candle there is information about their instructions on the Candle Care page of the website https://www.help.primark.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115001188069-Candle-Care
  • Never leave lit candles unattended
  • Always trim the wick to approximately 5mm
  • Avoid contamination such as spent matches in the candle wax, this can cause dangerous ‘double wicking’ to occur;
  • Place candles in a heat-resistant holder or on a heat-resistant surface – be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, the metallic cases get hot enough to melt plastic and burn wood;
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets – children may play with them out of curiosity and pets can knock them over;
  • Keep candles away from curtains and other combustible materials such as paper, cardboard and fabric covered furniture which will catch fire if the flame of the candle accidentally comes into contact with them; and,
  • Make sure you snuff out the candle fully when you are finished with it or when leaving the room for any time.

 

Message sent by
Thomas Warner (Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, Prevention Support Manager, Bedfordshire)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.