We are sending this message to all Coordinators, so if you receive this more than once, my apologies. Some will also have received information regarding Members we cannot contact with the information we have on them and many thanks to you for helping us contact those members where you can
This messaged is for all Registered Area and Street Coordinators on Bedford & District’s Neighbourhood Watch database
Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
This new data protection regulation supersedes the current Data Protection Act and comes into force on 25th May 2018
This means that all personal data we have on our members must be:
- Stored safely
- Only kept if needed
- Must have permission from the individual that they are happy for the information you have and
- They must know what you will use it for
I know that many of your members are neighbours but we still need to ensure any address lists, or personal data you have are treated safely
- I need to ask you to consider any members you have that are not on our main database, to be asked to consider registering on the database. This is optional, but will make their membership more secure under the new rules. By doing this, they are in “control” of their own personal data they supply.
- Any personal information you have is checked to ensure it is:
- Absolutely needed; if not it should be destroyed.
- If kept, that you have written confirmation from your member that they are happy for you to have their personal details.
You should not keep any personal information on any members who have subsequently left your scheme.
Your help in this is greatly appreciated and I am available for any help or to answer any questions as best I can.
If you wish to see a copy of the Data Protection guidance from National Neighbourhood Watch, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org